[C320-list] Spinnaker Hardware: Tack and Turning Block Hardware and Locations

resloat resloat at comcast.net
Sun Feb 19 09:35:19 PST 2012

Jason-I don't have any answers on the bowsprit, but am interested in that as
an option.  I believe the C 445 has it as an option.  We have a Jeanneau 36
with a portable bowsprit on our dock and one issue the skipper has when
docking is to make sure he remembers to take the bow spirit off upon on
arrival.  The boat has to be in the slip so the stern does not stick out
beyond the fingers so the bow spirit has to be on deck.  Once he came in and
forgot to take in the bow spirit and ran it into the pier.  It made some
noise but little damage other than to ego resulted.

I run a UK Flasher asymmetric with the ATN tacker and a sock.

On my Hull 894 the spinnaker turning blocks are attached to Wichard folding
pad eyes and backing plates installed according to the Catalina deck plan
from the owner's manual.  I figured if the folks that designed and built the
boat think this is the best overall location, then go with it.  This
installation was the first time I drilled any holes into my brand new boat
so I did a lot of soul searching before committing.  The Catalina deck plan
shows the spinnaker turning block pad eyes located at the edge of the deck
opposite each primary winch.  Neither of the pad eye installation involved
drilling into the cabin space.  The deck core there is anti skid and solid,
so you can avoid having to drill epoxy the hole then drill again as you
would where the deck has core balsa or similar material.  Ten years of use
and no leaks or any deck delimitation issues from water.  The folding pad
eyes present little trip hazard as the are right next to the fiberglass toe
rail.

You could pick another location, or if you really want to be able to fine
tune the spinnaker, install multiple pad eye locations or a track.  Both
increase trip hazards and involve more installation effort.

I use snatch blocks for the spinnaker sheets that have plastic padding to
keep the deck from getting beat up if they bang around on the lazy sheet
side.  I don't remember the brand, but they were pricey as were the French
folding pad eyes.

On the tack, a Garhauer aluminum snatch block is on the anchor bale.  You
change the spinnaker tack height depending on your angle of attack lowering
it when close reaching and raising it when sailing at broad reach to almost
a dead run.  The spinnaker tack line is run through the snatch block and to
the anchor windlass.  It fits under the anchor locker cover perfectly
without obstruction.  The anchor line cleat is used for the anchor and the
tack line being a much smaller line can be fit on the same cleat over the
anchor line.  You could install a separate cleat for the tack line, but I
have had no problems with this set up in ten years of spinnaker use.
Control of the tack line is simple.  Just go to the bow, uncleat the tack
line in the anchor locker and raise or lower the spinnaker tack using the
windlass.  If you are constantly adjusting the tack height you could run the
tack line to the cockpit, but I have found with my set up you only have to
wander up to the bow when making large heading changes.  I can do this
single-handed with the autopilot holding course easily.  With crew, unless
you are in major weather, the trip to the bow is not a problem for me.

Bob Sloat
Sanannah 894 (2002)