[C320-list] Water Temp warning light

Karl Mielenhausen kmielen at suddenlink.net
Mon Jul 9 12:51:42 PDT 2012

Marko,

It would be helpful to know which engine you have.

I suspect your impeller has broken/missing vanes.
Was it inspected this spring before commissioning?
Was it removed during winterization? (They can take on quite a "set" over
the winter, to the point where the vanes fracture upon start-up.)
If the impeller checks out, you may have a partially fouled heat exchanger.
Here are some Mainsheet references to a hot running engine....
http://www.catalina320.com/article.php?story=20100117205621921
http://www.catalina320.com/article.php?story=20090718083201878

Karl Mielenhausen

On Mon, Jul 9, 2012 at 10:12 AM, Marko Jamnik <mjamnik at markocreative.net>
wrote:
>> Things just keep happening. One way of keeping me on my toes.
>
> Ventured out for a sail the other day and everything was working normal,
the engine started, water was circulating through the engine.
> Twenty minutes under power my water temp light came on as well as the
alarm. The gauge was a normal 80c, the coolant was full, the impeller was
changed two years ago with 44 hours on the new one. My intake filter is
clear. I ran the engine for approximate 30 minutes gauge still reading 80c
and then I decided time to shut it down. I let it cool down and then tried
it again hoping it was a temporary thing.
> I would appreciate any other options I may have over looked. With the
gauge being normal I ruled out the thermostat.