[C320-list] Overheating Perkins Perama M30

amshd2 at aol.com amshd2 at aol.com
Tue Jul 10 06:56:50 PDT 2012

I too have a 94 with a Perkins.

After I first purchased my 320 several years ago she started to run hot and I had a similar issue with old broken impeller debris trapped in the rubber cup connection on the front side of the heat exchanger.  I  also had a problem with the exhaust mixing elbow .  It had rusted up and the water was restricted from entering the elbow. I had to replace the elbow.   While I had things disassembled I pulled the brass core out of the heat exchange and checked  for clogs and cleaned it as well.

Put everything back together and it she again ran at a constant `180 degree F and still does.

I use a hand held laser temperature gauge and check it against the gauge on the boat from time to time.

Another thing you can check is the thermostat it may not be opening all the way.

Tony