[C320-list] Shaft packing

resloat resloat at comcast.net
Mon Jul 23 05:09:49 PDT 2012

Jim-Below is a copy of 2006 C320 correspondence on packing gland material.
I replaced mine in 2006 with the GFO stuff and have basically a drip free
install.  Maybe once a season, I will retighten the packing gland if any
water drips through.  On my 2002 hull, I don't think the gland and locking
nut are 1 7/8".  I bought the largest Channel Locks I could find which work
well after you get one of them aligned on the narrow locking nut.

I pre-cut the GFO packing by tightly srapping it around the shaft in the
boat and using a razor blade cut the packing at an angle so it was a tight
fit around the shaft.  Only two layers of packing fit in initially.  A year
later I was able to put another layer of packing.  All my work was done in
the spring on the tarmac.  If you do it in the water get everything lined up
before doing the repacking.  The hardest part was getting the old flax out.
I used a heavy duty dentist pick and a bent nail to get the old packing out.
It had hardenend over 6 seasons.

BEGINNING OF COPY
Karl-I have the GFO packing that Bill refers to in the link installed in
hull #894 and it is the best $18 investment made on the boat.  It is
basically dripless and takes only a few minutes to install.

Packing size for my boat is 1/4 inch even though my owner's manual says it
is 3/16
inch.  The
link tells you what size to use depending on the space between the shaft and
the inside of the stuffing box.  I measured mine by unscrewing the gland nut
and finding
a drill size (1/4 ") that snuggly fit in the space between the shaft and the
stuffing box.  Use the smooth part of the drill that goes into the chuck for
the measurement.