[C320-list] One Sail in High winds

Ken Danko 320kend at att.net
Tue Jul 31 15:39:50 PDT 2012

Lately I have been experimenting with using only one sail in high winds.
I have tried using my 100% jib (and no main) and my main with the first
reef point (and no jib). The usual afternoon winds here during the
summer are about 24 knots with gusts to 29 in some parts of the bay. On
a really windy day the wind can be almost 10 knots higher. I am not
racing and my guests (crew) usually don't want to sit on the rail and
sometimes I single hand Grace. Using one sail has proved to be a pretty
good solution for traversing the most windy parts of the bay. I was
wondering if anyone in the group had some
thoughts/suggestions/guidelines for using one sail.

Ken Danko
Grace, #802
San Francisco