[C320-list] Water in fuel

Marko Jamnik mjamnik at markocreative.net
Mon Jun 25 08:25:42 PDT 2012

Into my third sailing season with my 1995 - 320. Boat came from brackish waters to fresh water.  I had the motor taken out and had the  motor mounts replaced as well as reconditioning the engine, all of the hoses filters primary & secondary filters, zinc nodes impeller etc.  after all that it was tested and the result the engine was in A1 condition. The last two seasons no problems until now.  It's a Westerbeke 30B with a total of 1000 hrs.

I tried starting the engine this week and after two minutes the engine stalled. I cranked it a number of times and no luck. The fuel gauge was full. I had a mechanic look at it only to tell me that I was pumping through water, out of the injectors that all I saw. The plan is to clean out the tank and replace it with cleaner fuel. I think it was a matter of time that the balance of water levelled with the fuel and with some sloshing around I reached that cutoff point. Now my concern is that this will be a costly fix especially since I have water in the system now. Concern of mine is that a complete removal of water has to happen, I can't afford water in the cylinders since it won't burn and once the fuel does kick in it can blow a seals. The mystery here is how much water is in the system already

I have checked the O ring and it's not cracked I still have to check the vent fitting but this will be after the fact.

Before I hand over my retirement fund, just kidding. I'm wondering if anyone else has had a similar experience.

If only it could run on water?

Mark