[C320-list] Propeller Shaft Strut_1994 C320

Rick Sulewski rsulewski at bex.net
Fri Jun 1 08:10:34 PDT 2012

Don,

I have a 95 320 and encountered a loose strut as a result of snagging a 3/4 inch nylon braided line that ended up wrapping around the prop and stalling the engine. Repairs were necessary including a new prop shaft and rebidding the strut. The two strut stud nuts were accessible inside where there was a hull was built  to receive the base of the strut. A few years ago the strut began weeping again after haul out and I just snugged the strut studs and applied some flexible adhesive caulk without further incident. I suggest that the yard may want to consider if the strut studs need to be lengthened and/or consider if it necessary to first remove the additional glass that was added to the
insider of your hull in order because it may be necessary to remove the remaining old strut studs and nuts to make way for the installation of the new strut.

It appears from your description that the strut had been allowing water intrusion for some time and someone added glass and resin to keep the water from entering inside the hull, all the more reason to have access to the strut stud nuts to ensure that a new secure strut may be installed and properly bedded and allow for the new strut to be  monitored and tightened some time after the repair, if necessary.

Rick
My-Ria #277