[C320-list] Propeller Shaft Strut_1994 C320

Donald Poole dpoole15 at gmail.com
Fri Jun 1 07:15:49 PDT 2012

Just purchased a 1994 C320. Survey noted that the sturt was loose and water
was weeping from hull penetration. Took her to a boat yard to have opened
up, dried out, and tightened. Also replacing the cutlass bearing.  While
pressing out the old cutlass bearing the strut broke just inside
(above) the hull line. apparently had been cracked years ago and over the
years the salt water did it's number. There was very little metal
remaining. Had it failed at sea....well...I'm eally glad it broke in the
yard. I haev a new Strut I got from Catalin Direct and new have to install
it and align. Inside the hull the existing strut has been glassed over so
you cannot see any bolts or anything. While I'm confident that the boat
yard folks will try to get it right it's clear that they have not
encountered this specific thing before. They are going ot cut into the
glass inside the hull  and see what we find. They told me that they believe
the strut installs from inside the hull but I found a diagram on line that
indicates a recession in the hull that the strut would fit up into from
below.Has anyone had to deal with this and can offer any guidance ?