[C320-list] Portable air conditioner

jim brown jbrown5093 at yahoo.com
Sat Jun 30 13:00:04 PDT 2012

I tried one out a couple of years ago. It was a large unit (don't remember the btu's) and heavy enough to be a problem getting up and down the companionway. It took up a lot of room in the salon and was always under foot no matter where we tried it. The exhaust hot air has to be vented to the outside and I tried putting it out a portlight with a foam insert but there were a couple of problems with that approach. First it limits where you can put the unit to the forward part of the salon making it difficult to get into the v berth (the max length of the exhaust tube didn't allow it to go under the nav table). Second it has to go over a seat making it awkward to read or lie down if it's on the port side and difficult to eat if it's on the starboard side. The vent tubing gets quite warm. With the first thunder storm it leaked like a sieve around the insert and down the vent tube. Venting out the companionway also didn't work well since the unit was then in
 the galley and you had to take the whole thing apart to get out. It was quite noisy since it was in the middle of things. Also didn't cool worth spit. Other than that it was quite successful. Want to buy one used?

Jim Brown