[C320-list] salon table /// Here is the table lowering tip/rationale we received at commissioning

Rick Sulewski rsulewski at bex.net
Mon May 7 16:32:00 PDT 2012

Captain Diane ,

Here is the tip we received during the commissioning session that has proven
to work each time we lower the table on our 1995 320. One must first
understand that on our boat there is an air compression tube in the table
post that allows the table top to rise after it is compressed. The process
listed below allows the table top to be lowered by releasing the air tube
valve and compress the air tube/post and easily lower the table on our 320.
I am assuming that all 320s have the same air compression tube system in the
table post:
1) Loosen the table post friction screw a few turns and then stand in front
of the table post facing the portside portholes; 2) bend over at the hips
with one's arms outstretched to the table top strike point with the heels of
your hands 2-3 inches apart and centered to strike the table top directly
over the table post point of attachment; 3) by  lifting the mass of your
upper body at one's hips with your outstretched arms, have the heels of
one's hand rise about 6-10 inches directly above the table strike point and
then, in a rapid motion, strike the heels of your hands on the table top
above the post attachment point, being certain to generate force thru one's
outstretched arms/hand heels by rotating the mass of one's upper body at the
hips in a rapid downward motion. The force of the upper body mass focused
thru the hand heels rapidly striking the table top allows the air valve in
the cylinder to be released and the table can then be further compressed by
continuing to push the table top downward; 4) tighten the table post
friction nut to hold the table top down (otherwise the table top will
automatically rise). IF the process does not work the first time, practice
the motion of lowering your body mass at the hips and do not allow any
spring or give-way  movement in ones elbow joints because the trick to
permit the sudden impact of the hand heels' forces to open the valve on the
air compression tube so the table top may be lowered. My 120 lb. wife "my
Ria" can easily lower the table top, so it is not brute strength but rather
technique that works in this process.

We also created two small and easily stored I-beam type supports out of
2by4s scraps that are positioned on each side of the table post (about 12
inches on both sides of the post)  to stabilize the table top while it is
compressed such that the table top does not provide any movement from side
to side and allows 2 adults to sleep in that berth without the table top
without creaking or cracking when in use as a berth and otherwise damaging
the attachment point where the post meets the bottom of the table. The
I-beam supports were made to fit under the table before lowering it and that
way the table may be snugged to the table supports just a fraction above the
lowest table setting before tightening the friction screw to hold the table
top down.

Good Luck,
Rick
"My-Ria"  95 320 hull #277