[C320-list] battery/charger issue

Jeff Hare Catalina at thehares.com
Mon May 14 17:41:34 PDT 2012

Hey Chris,

Few questions about your setup might help also:

- Were you on a doc plugged in when you first noticed the smell but before
you went over for a pumpout?
- Do you have the standard yanmar/hitachi alternator or do you have an
upgraded alternator and external regulator?
- Are your house batteries wired in Parallel or did you have the switch set
to just the one that died?
- Any chance that the air and water temp was warmer where you are than it
had been in the previous few weeks?

In any event, You're most likely the victim of thermal runaway.  The thermal
runaway safety zone limits decrease with age and are more likely to suffer
from this even if the batteries appear to be in good condition and have good
holding capacity.  A warmer than normal battery compartment can allow this
to happen sooner, especially since our battery compartments are "insulated"
on top.  Chargers that don’t have a battery temp sensor can't know to reduce
the float or charge voltage as the battery heats up.  Engine alternator
normally produces 13.8v which is higher than a shore power charger's normal
float voltage of around 13.2 or so.

People like to fully blame the ProMariner, but I'd put money down that it's
usually some combination of battery age, ambient temp in the battery
compartment and the charger's lack of thermal sensor that sets up for this
cascade. A problem battery will fry at float voltage in the right ambient
conditions regardless of who supplies the float voltage and you're unlikely
to have any warning.

I'm guessing that your battery had a defect that made it susceptible to this
earlier in its life than it should have.

-Jeff