[C320-list] Sail Care

Dean Vermeire dean at vermeire.us
Thu May 17 14:30:53 PDT 2012

I sent my main to Sail Care at the end of last season.  It is the
original Catalina sail from 2001, and it had never been cleaned or
repaired.  Sail Care charged me just over $600 for all of the repairs,
sewing down emblems, dealing with the dutchman pockets and vias, and the
full cleaning / LaMauney process.  As mentioned before, the sail came
back like new - not just cosmetically new.

Now, I do realize that the sail is actually not new.  It has just had
new life breathed into it.  I will still need a new sail someday.
However, I think I have delayed that new sail by a number of years.
Since I do not see myself sending the sail back to Sail Care, or anyone
else, for several years, I really think it made a lot of sense,
financially speaking.

I suppose it all depends on what kind of shape your sails are really in,
and is it worth reconditioning them.  For me, it was.

Dean Vermeire
Moonstruck II (#847)