[C320-list] Genoa reefing line cleat

Rick Sulewski rsulewski at bex.net
Thu May 17 16:30:31 PDT 2012

I simply installed an inexpensive open cam cleat on the deck near the port
stern seat just aft of the furling cleat, but parallel to the rub rail, and
that permits me to set an adjustable Genoa reef, even in high winds by
running the furling line through a turning block attached to the stern seat
pulpit stanchion so that the furling line may be secured by the cam cleat. I
installed the turning block close to the deck and adjacent to the cam cleat
to facilitate rolling up the headsail from the helm. The cam cleat takes all
of the reefing pressure distributed through the turning block clamp attached
low on the stanchion, or I may secure the reefed furling line with the cam
cleat after the line turns behind the horn cleat to remove all pressure from
the stanchion in very high winds. Always secure furling line to the furling
line  horn cleat with some slack to avoid a boarding tripping hazard. Always
secure the furler drum by tying a line from the drum to the pulpit to avoid
the headsail from opening up while at the dock or at anchor.
Rick
My-Ria # 277