[C320-list] Genoa reefing line cleat

resloat resloat at comcast.net
Fri May 18 05:57:21 PDT 2012

Jeff-I am big for form and function unification, and you don't need incense
burning to celebrate it.  Your solution gets my award for least intrusive,
no added trip hazard and best looking.  From a pure engineering standpoint,
it is also a strong mounting point.  I remember someone on C320 years ago
had mainsheets going all over the cabin top and ending up being routed from
some where near the genoa track to the cabin top.  The sheets looked strange
forming a diagonal over the cabin side windows.  Rube Goldberg would have
been proud. It worked for the person who did it, but Catalina has not
adopted it yet.

I do a lot of single-handed sailing and with a good set of sailing gloves
and a little practice have no problem furling the Genoa while keeping enough
tension on the Genoa sheet.  Autopilot is on at this point and you get two
handed-eye coordination practice and upper body work to boot.  Been there,
done that, so a small clutched foot block is being considered. It looks like
you could move the block outward if the bimini strap wasn't there.  I have
one also.

Bob Sloat
S/V Savannah 894 (2002)