[C320-list] Replacement teak hatch boards

Dean Vermeire dean at vermeire.us
Mon Oct 1 06:55:47 PDT 2012

I have to agree with Tony, in that the Zarcor doors are really not the
best for securing your boat and keeping the bad weather out while you
are away.  I bought the Zarcor doors for our boat (#847) to easily go in
and out of the boat in the summer, while keeping the cold air from the
air conditioner inside.  We only use the doors when we are staying on
the boat.  Otherwise, we put the hatch boards back in.

The installation was pretty easy on my second attempt.  The instructions
all make perfect sense when you are done.  There are a couple of little
tricks that would be great to know up front. First of all, clamping both
doors securely to the included flat piece of plastic (or, better yet, a
piece of plywood or straight board) helps tremendously.  Second, using
thin strips of plywood or hardboard as shims is a big help.  The idea is
that the doors are clamped together and act as one piece to install.
The shims are placed behind the doors in the slot, on the outsides of
the doors in the slot, and under the doors.  This provides some space
around the doors and pushes the doors outward, so that the hinges will
be properly positioned.

Before drilling any holes, and after you have clamped and shimmed, slide
the hatchway cover closed and check the clearance with the doors.  If
you can't close the hatch cover, or if it rubs, you will need to take a
little off the bottom of the doors to lower them down.  I did not need
to do this at all on my boat, but each boat may vary slightly.  Once you
have the doors (still clamped and shimmed) fitting nicely, you will want
to press the hinges firmly against the doors, pulling the doors towards
the hinges, and drill the holes.  It is very important to drill and set
the screws with the hinges aligned properly.  Once you have the hinges
set, just remove the clamps and shims.  Ta da!

As to the various comments about the hatch boards, I took mine home with
me to refinish them this weekend and have a few observations.  First
off, the quality of the hatch boards is first rate, at least on hull
847.  They are solid wood (probably teak, although possibly one of the
good substitutes).  The main panels are edge glued and there are end
pieces that are glued cross-grain with mortise and stub tenon joinery,
similar to breadboard ends on a dining room table.  Because the joinery
is cross-grain, it may fail over time.  This is not because it is a bad
design.  The nice, finished look is achieved by the breadboard ends that
hide the end grain of the main panels.  The down side is that the joint
may break apart over time, due to seasonal movement.  If this happens, I
would rebuild the existing hatch boards, salvaging as much as I can.
Certainly, the main panels would be salvageable. The end pieces may need
to be replaced.  It depends on how easily you can get them apart and
clean out the old glue.

If you decide to build new hatch boards, there are some alternatives to
teak.  Genuine teak is selling here for about $24 / bf.  However, Iroko,
which is a very good substitute, is selling for about 1/3 of that.
Mahogany would also be nice, and African Mahogany is a good substitute
for that.

Good luck.

Dean Vermeire
Moonstruck II (#847)