[C320-list] Wiring Speed Transducer

BairdRJB at aol.com BairdRJB at aol.com
Wed Sep 5 13:18:33 PDT 2012

You may recall a post from me a few weeks ago inquiring about replacing the
 paddlewheel on a Raymarine ST60 Speed Instrument.  I ended up working with
 a company called GEMECO.  Very helpful folks.  By their  recommendation, I
am replacing the entire insert/transducer.  Not only was  the paddle wheel
broken, but the brackets that protect the paddlewheel was  cracked and could
snap off sometime in the near future.  They are shipping  me an ST800-INS
at the cost of $84 (before shipping).

QUESTION:  To install this thing, they say I don't have to run the  cable
all the way back to the helm.  They say I can cut the cable and  connect it
to the original cable using a junction box.  I have never done  that kind of
work before.  Is he talking about a butt splice or a terminal  block, or
what?  Obviously it needs to be waterproof.  I am assuming  that making this
kind of splice might compromise the speed-reading a bit, but I  imagine it
would be only marginal.  Am I correct in that assumption?

Thanks, all, for your guidance.

Bob Baird
Star Dust, 2001, Hull 784
Whitehall, Michigan