[C320-list] Alternator Upgrade questions - Balmar 70 110A

danny jensen danny at jensenshouse.com
Fri Sep 14 10:15:56 PDT 2012

All,
Thanks for all the info on the c320 site re the alternator topic. My
questions follow. Please answer anything you can. Thanks in advance.

Boat details
C320 hull 972 2004
Yanmar 3GM30F-YEU
xantrex true charge 40
Flooded Lead Acid 4D x 2 1 yr old

Project:
I have decided add a starter battery per C320 site instructions (create
house and starter bank) and then work my way aft to upgrade the
alternator. 2 phase project.

Alternator:
I'd like to go with the Balmar 110A alternator with the ARS-5-h voltage
regulator purchased in kit part number 70-YP-110-KIT
Balmar Alternator Kits Contain:
Alternator 70 series
Matching ARS-5-H voltage regulator
54" Wire harness
MC-TS-A Alternator temperature sensor
MC-TS-B Battery temperature sensor

I found this kit for $700.00 at East Coast battery and electric.
http://www.eastcoastbattery.com/alternators.htm

Other Stuff:
Blue Seas ACR #7610 between house and starter
Xantrex linkLite with shunt
Group 24 60ah or Group 27 92ah (not sure) will get from Sams Club?
Xantrex truecharge 40 with 2 outputs connected to house and starter
batteries

Questions:
1. What is the best location to place the voltage regulator? The kit
above only has a 54" harness. Looks like Jeff mounted the regulator next
to the nav station. Other people mounted in engine area next to coolant
res. How hard is it to extend the balmar 54" harness?
2. what size thickness and type of wood do you use for your electrical
backboards? How do you secure them to the hull? Type of screws used to
mount components/backboards?
3. Was the balmar 110A a drop in replacement with no shimming? Do you
have a belt part number I can use? Do you chew up belts?
4. Best place to buy bus bars/fuses/connectors, battery strap etc, do
you have Part numbers?
5. Do you have any details you can give me on interfacing the old
alternator / boat wiring to the balmar harness (ground, power input,
ignition, tack out)? Do we need to interface the tack wire from the
Balmar reg to the boat? Is the tack output somewhat accurate? Cable path
to dash lamp on Edison to flag charger malfunction
6. Location of existing negative bus bar on hull 972? Do I have one?
Where should I locate the fuse protection for this neg bus bar?
7. Is it absolutely necessary to run alternator directly to house
batteries? Or can I just leave it running to the switch?
8. Any custom configuration needed programming the Balmar Reg?
9. Other stuff I'm forgetting not covered on C320.