[C320-list] replacing the main halyard

John Meyers jcmeyers7 at gmail.com
Sun Sep 9 15:17:25 PDT 2012

Gene,

I replaced my main halyard this year too. I don't remember the length but I
learned the length from this forum. I seemed long but I bought the amount
anyway. I also learned from these people who contribute that it is best to
sew the ends together. I used several loops of monofilament fishing line on
the heavy side and used electricians tape to make the butt joint smooth
between the new and old halyard. It worked real smooth and the whole job
was done in under 15 minutes. It was so easy that I plan to use some sort
of cheap line over the winter on all my halyards so they don't weather.

I used a good bowline to attached the shackle. Every spring I plan to take
the bowline off and cut off a foot and reattach the shackle. As I said
before there is a lot of line left over if you buy the recommended length.
(I am thinking it was 115 feet but check the past posts and verify.) By
shortening the halyard by a foot every year the part that gets eaten up
slightly by the clutch isn't in the same spot every year.

John Meyers
Muskegon, MI
Wind Chime - 406