[C320-list] replacing the main halyard

Donald Lawson dnclaws at aol.com
Sun Sep 9 20:53:04 PDT 2012

I have done this many times.  Stich a small 1/8" diameter line between the old halyard and the new one. Does not matter as to the length as long as it runs cleanly. If you abutt and tape them you run the risk of having a hard spot that may not run cleanly around the mast sheave. I do not use tape for that reason. I taped once and it jambed at the masthead and the stich failed when I tried to force it. Your call.  Make  an eye splice in your new halyard for future changes unless you plan to switch ends due to wear. Line use is your choice, follow the guidelines from West Marine, Sampson, New England, etc.
Don Lawson #1005