[C320-list] Alternator Upgrade questions - Balmar 70 110A

Colin Evans twosailors at bigpond.com
Fri Sep 14 15:46:50 PDT 2012

We have the regulator mounted next to the engine coolant. We didn`t change
the alternator, just kept the standard 55 amp.
This made a huge difference.  The batteries re-charge in no time at all.  I
put a start battery in front of the other two.  Took the cables off the
forward battery and they reached the new 80a start battery ( which we
haven`t had to use yet) and linked the two house batteries with off the
shelf cables. This made the main battery switch, #1 for house and #2 for
starting.  I also fitted a batery monitor for the houe batteries. We keep it
on #1 all the time.  When we leave the marina we know that all three
batteries are topped up and when we need to run the engine the house
batteries are up to 100% in less than half an hour after sailing for maybe 5
hours .  We don`t have auto-pilot, just the nav instruments , VHF and fridge
on. I tend to check the start batter with the voltmeter on the panel, but it
is never less thsat 12.6 and the Xantrex 40a charger does its job when we
are in the pen.

Regards
Colin Evans
Watermark #774