[C320-list] shower / fridge drain

Stephen Cox scox at timmin.com
Wed Sep 26 06:44:43 PDT 2012

> Stephen,
>
> This year my shower sink did not drain in early spring.  I
> opened the thruhull and using a piece of galvanized wire, I
> probed the line with the wire and eventually broke the jam.
> If you do this, I found that it worked better (didn't hang up
> as bad) if I bent the end back 180 degrees (so it laid flat
> against the longer piece of wire) to give a rounded tip.
> Since there is a little curvature in the hose, the wire needs
> to be flexible enough to follow the curvature, but also stiff
> enough to punch out any obstruction.  It is possible that
> this might also be your problem.
>
> Dennis Harris  C-320 #694

Thanks Dennis,

I haven't had a problem with the sink not draining fortunately.  My shower
sump pump wouldn't prime or pump very well when force primed - the problem
was definitely the strainer and little pieces caught in the pump valves.

I do wonder though about the sink outlets blocking up over time . . . .

Stephen Cox
Tegwen #1141