[C320-list] Racing

DennyBrowne@Verizon.net dennybrowne at verizon.net
Tue Apr 2 15:10:04 PDT 2013

I race my C320 (#935), and have run into some difficulties with halyards,
mainsheet, spinnaker controls, etc. all occurring around the companionway.
This is too much activity for a single crew at the weather and leeward
marks. So, I'm thinking of running the mainsheet to a swivel at the forward
edge center of the companionway as the only mainsheet control (possibly with
a fine tune at the back of the boom) in an effort to get the mainsheet off
both cabintop winches and separate the main trimmer's duties and equipment
from the pit guy's. It may be smarter just to put two guys on the tasks with
existing equipment, but I think I can make it better.

Garhauer makes the swivel that I want
(http://garhauermarine.com/catalog_process.cfm?cid=63 ) but I don't know how
to mount it. The companionway cover slides under a molded piece that I'm
thinking of attaching a piece of stainless angle iron to, so I can mount the
swivel to the angle iron, but I'm still not sure the vertical aft edge of
this cover is strong enough to handle the load of the mainsheet. Actually,
it's probably only 1/3 of the load, as I'm contemplating a single block on
the swivel and the existing double block on the traveler, but it's still a
substantial load with our mid-boom mainsheet. I've added Harken 150 cam
cleats to the aft edge of the cabintop, and they seem to be fine for the
mainsheet when sailing off the wind, but I'm not confident in their strength
when hard on the wind. Makes me nervous in the event of a jibe, as well.

Can anyone offer any insights that may help guide me on this?

Thanks,

DENNY BROWNE
A Cappella #935
Redondo Beach, CA