[C320-list] Bilge pump popping breaker

Wash, Steve wash at advantageelectronics.com
Fri Apr 26 10:55:20 PDT 2013

Irv,
We had this problem one year.  The culprit was the motor. It was locked up.

I was able to take the motor off and worked it by hand to free it.  It ran for a short while afterwards.  I didn't trust it after that.  I don't know if a bearing corroded or a brush failed.
I tried to find a motor without success.  If I had searched harder I might have found it.
I bought a new motor and pump assembly.  I'll write myself a note to look up the part number.  You can also contact Kent  (Kent at catalinayachts.com)  at Catalina and he can probably tell you , too.

I now have 2 pumps and 1 motor.

This came in handy when the motor ran during last fall's trip to storage but the water didn't drain.  I put the old pump in  (a 10 minute job) and drained the bilge.  When I disassembled the pump I found that a small pebble had been caught in one of the valves.  So, I'm adding a strainer in front of the intake this spring.  I think the new pump came with one but the original installation from Catalina did not have one, so I left it off.

How a small pebble got in the bilge is a mystery to me.

Steve