[C320-list] C320 Behavior at Anchor

Scott Thompson surprise at thompson87.com
Thu Aug 1 14:58:43 PDT 2013

I have a wing keel and have never noticed substantial sailing at anchor.
I'm sure it is a matter of degree. Maybe the dodger and bimini help, and
I suspect having a traditional main rather than in-mast furler also
helps. I also keep the rudder locked center line while at anchor. I've
never felt a need for a riding sail.

I haven't sailed a Catalina 27 in years but back in the day when I raced
on one I recall it was an adventure to sleep in the v-berth at night at
anchor when the wind was up. The boat was all over, with substantial
acceleration first one direction and then the other with a fairly sharp
turn at each end. It was a bit like trying to sleep on a roller coaster.
It was probably more uncomfortable in the v-berth than in the back
because of the lateral acceleration when the the bow pulled up tight on
the rode at the end of each "reach" across the anchorage, causing the
boat to "tack." Relative to that experience the 320 is solid as a rock.

The most wind I've seen while on board the 320 was about 45-50 knots for
a brief period during a thunderstorm. At the time we were anchored in a
river fairly close to shore with the near shoreline directly to windward
so the water stayed relatively flat. I believe we were in about 10' of
water with 15' of chain and probably another 50' of rope. The boat moved
around some, but not in any dramatic fashion, at least until the wind
backed suddenly at the end of the storm and the windward shore suddenly
became a lee shore.