[C320-list] Loose Footed Main

DennyBrowne@Verizon.net dennybrowne at verizon.net
Tue Feb 5 18:53:26 PST 2013

I found a Catalina 320 Mast Handbook from Charleston Spar in my "boat stuff"
folder recently:

CHARLESTON SPAR
3901 PINE GROVE CIRCLE
CHARLOTTE, NC 28206
(704) 597-1502
FAX (704) 597-0961
WWW.CHARLESTONSPAR.COM

No idea where I got it, but it has a lot of useful information, including
the existence of an outhaul car that appears to run on rollers in the boom
track. It is a simple vertical triangle, with two pairs of pins and rollers
on the bottom (long leg of the triangle) and a single hole, presumably for
the clew shackle, on the top angle where the two short legs connect. I asked
the sail maker, when recently ordering a new main, if I should invest in one
of these. He told me that the slug that runs in the track gets hard to pull
when loaded, but that he'd ordered me a strap that goes around the boom, and
works fine. I'm going to try the strap first, but I'm still a little
intrigued by the car.

OUTHAUL CAR COMPLETE
45003000177
(ROLLERS 40503151168)