[C320-list] Engine overheating

Rick Sulewski rsulewski at bex.net
Sun Jan 6 14:58:30 PST 2013

Colin,
A number of simple conditions could create a spiked temperatures including
blockages such as a sticking thermostat or you may have a grounded wire
condition due to a pinched temp wire, a bad sender or a bad temp gauge.
Consider if any work has been done to your engine that may have contributed
to any relocation of the involved wires. I had inadvertently pinched the
temp wire when reinstalling the valve cover after adjusting the valves and
the intermittent ground condition spiked the temperature gauge.  After
pulling the thermostat (because I was going to test it to learn if it was
sticking), I found the pinched temp wire under the corner of the valve
cover.

Then a few years later, I had a similar temperature spike condition return
and first replaced the temp gauge since I had ordered that replacement a few
years earlier (before I found that pinched wire under the valve cover). I
replacing the temp sender located on the thermostat housing to finally fix
the problem.

Rick
My-Ria 1995 320 hull #277