[C320-list] New skipper seeks advice on battery issues

Jason Alexander alexander.jason at gmail.com
Tue Jan 8 04:21:13 PST 2013

Mike,

I have a 2001 320 down in Deltaville down the bay from you.  The 4D
replacement as you says is a no brainer.   When I bought my boat I replaced
my batteries with Interstate SRD-4M.   At that time I put in a 3 bank
Xantrex 2 40 amp charger.    This allowed me to follow some of the advice
from the website glass in a new shelf in front of the existing batteries
and put in a  group 24 starting battery.   I wired the house batteries
together onto bank 2 and the starting battery onto bank 1 of my combiner
switch following some advise from 320 website.   I have refrigeration,
music, chartplotter and ST50 instrumentation.   I have not done the
alternator upgrade like many here have.    The charger replacement was plug
and play except that I ran a new wire for the third bank and the remote
control pannel.   I didn't move it out of the locker.  I actually did all
the work myself and did not consider it to be a difficult project skill
wise.   To be fair I am an electrical engineer but this is nothing more
than basic 12 volt wiring.

Jason