[C320-list] New skipper seeks advice on battery issues

Brian Carol Mclamb bjcnmclamb at gmail.com
Tue Jan 8 14:33:22 PST 2013

Welcome to the wonderful world of Catalina.  The 320 is my third Catalina and I really love it.  Started with a Catalina 22 and gradually moved up from there.  Serenity is a 2006 model and we just upgraded the battery and starting system this past season.  Having 2 batteries for house and a dedicated starter battery is highly recommended.  At that time I also upsized the alternator, had original rebuilt so more output but same size and location.  I also added a smart charger that monitors each battery individually so it will not overcharge any of them.  We used the Interstate wet battery and some think the gel battery is better because of the location they are situated in under the settee, but I found that cost prohibitive.

Enjoy your new vessel this coming season.  You will really love it!

Brian McLamb, s/v Serenity #1075
Oriental, NC

Sent from my iPad