[C320-list] Grounding and Bonding

Warren Updike wupdike at hotmail.com
Thu Jan 17 20:56:12 PST 2013

I am a curious person and in no way an engineer of any sort. I rely on
others with vastly more knowledge and experience than I.  My main boating
source is "Boatowner's Mechanical and Electrical Manual," 3rd edition, by
Nigel Calder.  You can find this in any boat store or on Amazon.com.  For
me, it is an indispensible reference.

That said, the whole subject of AC onboard boats is a complicated subject
and one that is not well understood even by some "experts," certainly not
me.  Nigel makes it clear that the AC-to-DC common ground does not solve all
problems; but, it is better than the alternatives.  The following is without
regard to whether a galvanic isolator, isolation transformer, GFCB, GFCI, or
xxyz is installed:
	"...it is a DAD IDEA (emphasis his) to break the AC-to-DC ground
connection.  If this is done, protection against ground faults, particularly
for swimmer in the water, becomes dependent on the proper operation of the
(device)..."  He goes on to talk about the failure rate of various devices.

So, there you have it.  What the devices don't protect against is their own
failure, and failure of other equipment and wires onboard that can allow
current to get to where we don't want it to go.

Warren & Pattie Updike
1994 C320 #62 "Warr De Mar"