[C320-list] Perkins Engine - Slow Crank

Ian Davis iand2002 at hotmail.com
Wed Jul 3 07:22:30 PDT 2013

Hi all.  Newbie Ian Davis ---  Wind Star - Hull #18

When starting the Perkins, even though I wait the full proscribed time for
the glow plugs to warm up, it still cranks VERY! slowly.  Generally it then
starts, but the other day it didn't, almost stranding me out in the Gulf.

The batteries are both new and fully change, and a friend and I traced every
battery lead we could find and cleaned all the connectors (with a file)
thoroughly.  Didn't help.   BUT we can just about see that the red lead
connected to the engine (at the starter solenoid) is corroded somewhat and
we see the voltage dipping at the stud to 4V DC.

My question is has anyone needed to get to the positive (red) lead
connection to the engine to replace it or clean it up.  Do you need to take
off the alternator and if so is that hard or easy; also, when you get to the
lead, is it easy to get off or not.  In short, is this a task I can tackle
with a knowledgeable  friend or two or does this need a marina engineer?

Thanks in advance for any answers.   Ian Davis.