[C320-list] Speed log problems

Graeme Clark cg at skyflyer.co.uk
Fri Jul 5 04:51:09 PDT 2013

Warren

Good question! I guess my main reason is that we have a high tidal range in Falmouth (up to 15ft or more) and as you might imagine that can generate some 'interesting' tidal currents. In order to work out the current our chart plotter needs an accurate speed through the water (although I guess what it actually woks out is the combined effect of current and leeway?)
However we can look at current predictions from the charts or the plotter, so that is not essential; although I don't race, on longer passages and beats upwind, I do end up tweaking  and adjusting this and that trying to get a better hull speed and SOG isn't quite the same. However I agree it is not worth spending a lot of money on!

The idea of a quick underwater localised scrub to see if that restores the reading (i.e. if it is hull fouling) is a great idea -  shame that the water here is only about 55F, but I'll manage somehow!

Graeme