[C320-list] Shift linkage failure

Allan S Field allan.field at verizon.net
Tue Jul 9 03:50:29 PDT 2013

>From my archives:

Assuming that your compass pedestal is made by Edson, the adjustment is
inside the binnacle, underneath the compass. To tighten it, remove the
stainless compass cover by unscrewing the two screws on the top. This will
also free the compass light and screen. Note: You may be able to get to the
tension adjustment without removing the compass, but I doubt it. Remove the
four stainless hex-head bolts holding the compass on the binnacle and
carefully remove it. Don't drop it. Look into the binnacle on the right side
and you will see where the throttle lever shaft passes through the wall of
the binnacle. Move the throttle lever back and forth to check the throttle
tension. From what you describe, it will be fairly loose, which is what you
don't want. There is a stainless hex-head machine screw sitting on top of
the throttle lever shaft which applies tension to the throttle lever shaft
as it passes through the binnacle wall. Put some BLUE Lock-Tite on the screw
then take a ratchet wrench and turn the machine screw clockwise a bit.
This will apply more tension to the throttle lever shaft. Move the throttle
lever back and forth and re-adjust the machine screw until the tension is to
your liking. Replace the compass, compass light and screen, and compass
cover. Remember that the hex-head machine screws are stainless steel and the
binnacle is aluminum and if you over tighten them the aluminum threads will
strip and you will get to buy another compass pedestal ($247). Do yourself a
favor and put some Lock-Tite on the threads before you reinstall them. This
will solve your problem.  Do not try to solve this problem by doing anything
to the cable attachment at the transmission! That is another problem which
involves inadequate throw of the throttle and gear shift levers.

Allan S. Field
Sea Shadow - #808
Columbia, MD