[C320-list] chain plate rebedding

Warren Updike wupdike at hotmail.com
Tue Jul 9 14:05:45 PDT 2013

Jeff, I assume by your hull number that, like mine, the balsa core is not
protected around the plates where they pass through the deck. Catalina made
a change later that made the deck solid fRP where the plate holes were cut.
That said, you must remove the plates entirely, remove all the old bedding,
remove the wetted and destroyed balsa, dry the deck as much as possible,
seal the deck core with filled epoxy, then proceed with the bedding process.
I don't think it was clear in earlier messages about using butyl rubber for
rebeding. I can only see using it for sealing the horizontal deck plate
around the vertical chain plates after the vertical plates were properly
rebeded with other than butyl rubber.
I'm sending you off-list a document written by Chris Burti and (I think
modified by me,) on rebeding chain plates. If you need more on the process,
contact me off-list.

Warren & Pattie Updike
1994 C320 #62 "Warr De Mar"

Warren