[C320-list] Jibe Preventer

Joseph A Tamucci jtamucci at comcast.net
Mon Jun 10 17:47:53 PDT 2013

Well, I looked at Allan Field's Jibe preventer configuration and decided to
go with it.  I bought most of the hardware from Garhauer, and the line from
West Marine (25% off sale).  I only ordered 4 stanchion blocks (2 on each
side) instead of the 8 that Allan installed.  I'll see if I can get away
with just 4.  The entire cost was about $450.  That sounds like a lot of
money for a preventer but this set up is very sturdy and allows complete
control of jibing from the cockpit.

We sail in Buzzards Bay, Cape Cod where the wind blows from the SW at 25+
knots on a daily basis and jibing is always a tricky maneuver, and
accidental jibes are a high probability going wing on wing with the wave
conditions on Buzzards Bay.  We have a number of wounds on our boom to
attest to this and are lucky we haven't been hurt.  The new system should
make going wing on wing a much easier, and safer maneuver.  It will be worth
every penny if it works as advertised.

Thanks Allan!

Joe Tamucci

Andante #619