[C320-list] Perkins M30 - Recommended Oil Viscosity?

Bronwen Young baeyoung at telus.net
Sat Jun 8 11:29:54 PDT 2013

Hi,
  Sorry to be a little late on the discussion.  I concur with what has been said.  My local guys have told me that they like the Castrol synthetic.  I buy it in gallon size, do the change and then decant some into a litre container which I keep on board in case I need a top up.  [Rarely does the engine actually need it.]
  Related: When I had a Perkins mechanic on board he told me that one thing these older motors really need is a good flush of the closed cooling system.  He had me do it three times before I put back in the 50-50 mixture.  I replaced the funky U shaped hose at the same time.  There seems to be some odd areas that can hang onto air in there.  I had to check and top up the system twice afterwards.  The overflow bottle works, but couldn't handle the 500 ml that I needed to put in.

Cheers,
Eric

FanaSea, #198