[C320-list] 3M 4200 fast cure

Warren Updike wupdike at hotmail.com
Sun Jun 23 13:44:48 PDT 2013

If Jim is referring to what I call chain plates (thingies that penetrate the
deck and attach to the ss rods in the cabin,) then I don't think butyl tape
will work for that.  I'm not even sure 4200 is the best.  On the advice of
our marina I used BoatLife LifeCalk about 8 years ago and they are just
beginning to leak now.  There may be even better products out there now by
Sylkaflex, 3M, and others.  The qualities needed seem to be: strong adhesion
and flexibility.
Jim doesn't say what year is his hull; but, if it is an early one, it might
be a good idea to remove 1/2" of deck core and replace with filled epoxy to
prevent water entry to the core.

Warren & Pattie Updike
1994 C320 #62 "Warr De Mar"