[C320-list] C320-list Digest, Vol 1660, Issue 1

Alan Goodman goodmanalanlee at hotmail.com
Fri Mar 1 10:53:21 PST 2013

With all this talk about sailing and the Michigan winter still in control, there is not much to do but spend money on our boats.  Recall I asked a few months ago for recommendations about new sails.  I ended up going with Gary Swensen's Ulman loft in Ventura CA.  He used to work in the Catalina factory sail loft and is pretty familiar with the C320.  He has also previously made sails for several other C320s.  I went with a dacron 8.0 oz full batten main and a 7.0 oz 135% roller furling genoa with foam luff.  Interesting point is that Gary and I talked at length about loose versus bolt rope foot ... net/net since I single hand a lot and I want the Dutchman to be flawless, a bolt rope foot is how I went.  Having the tabs firmly affixed to the boom is a key to maintaining filament tension.  If I raced and was going to really use the outhaul (which I don't) and remembered to severely tension the outhaul before dropping sail (which I'll forget to do), then the loose foot might work be OK (but not as good as the fixed foot) in Gary's opinion.  My old sails are factory OEM, and these new ones have all the bells and whistles (like a draft stripe on the main) and Gary is able to provide the C320 diamond logo and hull numbers same as the OEM.    Alan Hull 67 Holland MI