[C320-list] Wheel-Rudder steering cables

Jeff Brown oceanblues at mac.com
Mon Mar 18 14:22:21 PDT 2013

I'm not quite sure of the technical term for this but need some advice on the cables that connect the wheel to the rudder. I was running some new instrument cables to the helm this weekend and I noticed there is a lot of play in the steering cables, almost 1" of play and for the most part they are almost rubbing the fiberglass wall between the back berth and the space under the helm.  I see there are two adjustment screws to tighten up the cables.  It's probably been like this since before we bought the boat two years ago.  The amount of play in the cables is about the same no matter what the position of the wheel and it just seems like there is too much play in it although from the helm, I never noticed it.  So, does anyone know how much play it should have, if any?  I have a video and some pics if anyone wants to email me directly, I can send it.  Thanks for your help.

Jeff Brown
"Out of the blue" Dana Point, CA
Hull 78
oceanblues at mac.com