[C320-list] Zinc Or Aluminum Anode For Mid Chesapeake?

Bruce Hunter swampcreek42 at yahoo.com
Sat Mar 9 07:56:05 PST 2013

I can understand the commitment to zinc, most of us have used it our entire boating history and it has been used for centuries by countless seamen but the aluminum anode is not pure aluminum which would be useless as an anode, the aluminum anode due to the way its manufactured is actually less noble than a zinc anode. I've been reading tons of information on this due to my obsessiveness when it comes to my boats. Aluminum anodes are backed as a best choice for brakish water by article after article but the argument for zinc has one argument..."it's what we have always used".

This reminds me of when synthetic motor oil was really getting popular in the early '90s, I had just bought my Harley in '93 and after 5,000 miles I went to synthetic, many people told me that it was a bad idea because synthetic was TOO slippery! Even HD itself advised against it...until they started selling it. I bought that Harley new, picked it up 20 years ago on April 1st 1993 (Wow time flies) she's in the garage waiting to go out right now, but I need to go and get the boat ready for the season.

Here is an interesting article that sums up a lot of different articles on the subject.

 http://www.martyranodes.com/content/martyr-resources/Aluminum%20Anodes.pdf

Bruce,
Nautitime #719