[C320-list] Water lift Muffler

Allan S Field allan.field at verizon.net
Sun May 5 06:20:07 PDT 2013

Tony - You are using the term muffler but saying that water is in the engine
catch pan.  So...are you talking about a leak in the aqua lift muffler, the
big white box?  If so, the water should not be going into the pan beneath
the engine.  Rather, it should be collecting basically under the shaft, aft
of the transmission.  If the leak is from the aqua lift, some have had
success in fixing the leak.  When mine went, I returned it to Catalina and
they made me a new one.  The muffler replacement in 2007 was $269.50
including shipping.

If the leak is coming from the mixing and/or exhaust elbows, Bay Shore
Marine at Bert Jabins in Annapolis has drop-in replacements.  Total cost in
2009 was $355.44.  I would think that if these are leaking, you also would
see soot in your engine compartment.  (I changed my prophylactically.)

Now, if the water is truly collecting in the pan under the engine, my first
suspicion would be the raw water pump.  Again, there have been reports of
being able to repair these but when mine went, Bay Shore was able to supply
a replacement.  The price of that in 2008 was $165.37.

Are you beginning to see a pattern here?  When you by a boat, you buy it
twice!

Hope this helps...

Allan S. Field
Sea Shadow - #808