[C320-list] Water lift Muffler

Alan Goodman goodmanalanlee at hotmail.com
Mon May 6 15:20:27 PDT 2013

During my summer 2011 cruise, I developed a hairline crack in the factory joint of the aqua lift where the bottom is glued into the box, just as described in this thread.  Being in a small harbor without any hardware stores within 50 miles, I was forced to make a field repair.  I made a detailed post of the process to repair the muffler (rout the crack, epoxy fill, etc).  Point is I had to use the general purpose West Systems epoxy I had in my tool kit  ...  and even fully cured it was not suitable for continuous water exposure at the temperature inside the aqualift and after several hours a smaller leak opened in the seam repair.  I spoke to West technical service and they identified G-Flex as their 'best' epoxy for this repair ... but they did not recommend using it in this application.  However I have about 75 hours on the clock and the G-Flex repair is still OK.  Point is, if others on this list say JBWeld has the adhesion and heat resistance for this repair, then maybe that is the way to go.  My only concern is that unlike epoxy which can flow into the routed out crack before it starts cooking off, it may be more difficult for JBWeld to be worked into the fine portions of the crack.  BTW, on my hull 67, the OEM seam under the Aqualift is not fiberglassed but rather a thickened adhesive paste of some sort.  Alan Holland MI hull 67