[C320-list] Cabintop Jib Tracks

Chris Burti clburti at gmail.com
Tue May 14 13:48:16 PDT 2013

Chris, I'm having trouble visualizing how you get a fair lead from the cabin
top jib track back to the sheet winches. Can you explain a bit further?

I believe that as I recall, we actually have a fair lead when we move
the genoa car to the cabin top. I leave the jib car on the lower track
and use two snatch blocks...one for the sheet on the ring and the
other for a fairlead through the shrouds to the jib car on the deck.
_____________
I've often dreamed of installing a Solent stay so I could fly a smaller jib
properly on those rare days when it really blows without having to deal with
changing sails on the furler short handed. Has anyone actually done this on
a 320?

I've seen one advertised on a C-320 for sale but never discussed it
with any owners.
_________________

I've even thought of dumping the roller furler and getting hank-on sails,
which would make sail changes easier in a blow.

See a sailmaker about recutting your genoa to permit proper shape when
reefing or get a better sail designed and built for reefing...its
cheaper than ditching the furler and the results will be more
satisfactory.

Lastly, old shcool... our foils have two slots. if the wind is heavy,
tack so that the genoa's slot is windward of the empty slot and fall
off to a reach. Raise your working jib to leeward with sheets rigged,
using the spare halyard while it is shaded by the windward genoa.
Sheet it in, tack close to the wind and drop the Genny while it is
shaded some what by the jib. Pre-tie a bungee cord every 3' from the
pulpit back to the shrouds on what will be your leeward life lines
with one hook free. As you drop the Genoa, you bring it in under the
foot of the jib, lash it to the lifelines with the bungee cords
starting anear the clew and moving toward the tack to keep it from
getting free in the wind. Done slowly with planning, care and
practice, it can be accomplished by one person. The secret is in
paying attention to the tattoo on your bum that reads:.."Reef early
and reef often"

Fair winds,
CB, Commitment #867

 Presumably the cabin top tracks would come into play. I hate having

--
Chris Burti
Farmville, NC