[C320-list] Marinco replacement

Tony Murphy tony at midwestphysics.com
Wed May 15 06:08:33 PDT 2013

I had a short in the on-board receptacle last year that fried my connector and plug.  Lucky I was on the boat to notice power had been lost, or it might have gotten ugly.  I will see if I can find the pic of the burnt receptacle and post on the website when I get some time.

I ended up replacing my on-board receptacle and plug with the SmartPlug that Doug mentioned below and couldn't be happier.  It's a bit tougher to plug and unplug because of the amount of surface contact from the prongs, but I see this as a good thing.  And it's definitely water tight when plugged in.  Doug did not mention that the plug also has a thermal sensor that cuts power if overtemp is sensed.

Not sure if any on this list are ActiveCaptain subscribers, but there newsletter offers up specials each week on Defender.com.  The prices can't be beat when a special hits that fits what you are looking for.  This week is at http://www.defender.com/activecaptain.jsp and just happens to be the SmartPlug kit with the on-board receptacle and plug conversion kit.  I converted my existing shore power cord using this kit, but if you needed a new cord, you could always buy the receptacle and cordset separately… without the special price of course.  Oh yeah, I recommend the dust cover also for the end of the plug when not in use (purchased separately).

---
Tony Murphy
Bella Sol #886
Leech Lake MN