[C320-list] AtoProp Feedback

Andrew Santangelo andrew_santangelo at mac.com
Thu May 16 05:34:46 PDT 2013

Brian,

I have had an autoprop on my C320 for the last 15 years - it was my first "major" addition to Dawn Treader.

I both cruise and race.  Cruise wise it works excellent in forward and reverse (no prop walk).  The performance under power and the fuel economy significantly improved.  If I recall, I hit hull speed at a lower RPM.

Race wise it was one of several key improvements.  I have not raced in the last few years, but when we did we either placed or won.  When first racing as newbs we were dead last always (and I mean last).  After adding the autoprop we moved to the middle of the fleet.  (Later additions include fin keel, hydraulic backstay, racing sails, racing sheets and halyards, etc.).

Installation requires a shaft extender.  I forget the name/brand of mine, but it goes between the prop shaft and the engine.  It also suppresses any added vibrations and isolates the prop shaft/prop from the engine (reduces rust?).  Without it, the prop will whack the strut, a definite no-no.

Andrew Santangelo

C320 "Dawn Treader"
San Francisco, CA

J22 "Blitzkrieg"