[C320-list] Anti-fouling question

Warren Updike wupdike at hotmail.com
Tue May 28 07:54:41 PDT 2013

I had the same questions. I got the following somewhere in my internet
search: Don't use copper-based paint on the depth or speed units. Clean the
depth device (plastic area)with a scotch-bright pad and paint with
transducer paint. Also use transducer paint on the speed device paddle wheel
and internal surfaces.
Personally, I gave up on the speed thing. Here on the Chesapeake, the water
gets so warm in the summer that the critter growth overwhelms the speed
wheel as the recess is just too attractive for them to resist.  Since ours
is the older boat, there is no flap in the transducer tube and the water
inflow is too overwhelming to bother with. I just bagged it. Besides, GPS
SOG is better for my use.  I do give up the calculation of true wind.  I did
find a device that will convert GPS SOG to STW for wind instruments; but,
didn't buy it.  We don't race.

Warren & Pattie Updike
1994 C320 #62 "Warr De Mar"