[C320-list] Raw Water Intake

Rick Sulewski rsulewski at bex.net
Fri Nov 1 12:21:07 PDT 2013

Joe,
After having to dive under the boat several times over the years to clear a
blocked raw water intake, I finally attached a circular mushroom top type
strainer/grill cover that had multiple rows of 3/16ths holes, and that
solved the problem (looks like a bathroom shower drain grill/strainer). The
debris that would otherwise find its way into the intake is either strained
away or slides off the grill/cover while underway. I attached the strainer
with 2 of the possible 3 screws so if I could easily remove the cover if for
some reason I found a blockage between the grill and intake port ( which
never happened since I added the strainer/grill).

The trick is to locate a cover that is very shallow so as not to interfere
with the prop shaft. I found a brass one in a bargain bin for $5 and
observed most go for $10-15; An inexpensive way to avoid a bad day on the
water...especially early/late in the season.
Rick
My-Ria1995#277