[C320-list] Quantum Sail Pack and Strong Track/slide system

Allan S Field allan.field at verizon.net
Fri Nov 8 04:58:45 PST 2013

I did purchase the Strong system about 10 years ago.  It made little
difference in hoisting the sail.  I believe that the problem that remains is
that the main halyard does not have a straight line from the base of the
mast through the rope clutch and back to the winch.  There is too much
friction still as the halyard enters the side of the rope clutch versus
coming through in a straight line.  But if one hoists the main from the
mast, a child can do so as my grandson at 8 years old was able to do so
without needing the winch.  He cannot get the main up at all from the
cockpit though.  I would not recommend purchasing this system for a C320 and
not because the system is at fault but rather the halyard does not have a
fair lead back to the cockpit.  That said, it you or crew are OK going  up
on deck to hoist the main, go for it!

Allan S. Field
Sea Shadow - #808
Columbia, MD