[C320-list] Cost for Winter Cover

kspir4 at cox.net kspir4 at cox.net
Tue Nov 12 17:26:20 PST 2013

Bob,
I just ordered a cover from North Shore Canvas after shopping around a bit at and after the boat show in Annapolis.  Fairclough has a nice cover but the full cover is a little more than $4000 (too pricey for me).  It includes the frame and covers everything including life lines and much of the freeboard.  They make a boom cover for $1900 but it just touches the rail.  They will put an apron around it for $600 to make it go over the rail (but they seemed to not really think it did much.
I went with North Shore since they make a boom cover that goes to the rail and over the side by 10 inches (but the life lines are exposed.  The owner goes to every boat to get measurements it is custom fit. They push the approach that the cover is customized for your boat.  I asked them to put in a couple of scopes to let a little air in (in case the material doesn't breath as much as I'd like.  "No problem".  I asked for some extra tie down loops.  Again, "no problem".  No tax since I am out of state and, after a little more negotiating, he sprung for the shipping.  Price:  $2577   (same as the quote I got from them at the boat show).  It is to be made of Top Gun.  Fairclough is cotton.  Not sure which is better.  Research online showed there appear to be an equal number of fans of all the popular material and some that say they all do a fair job.
I also checked some other canvas shops but these two had the design I liked AND the more competitive price.
My fingers are crossed that the product lives up to the promises.  I'll let you know if your interested.
Ken
1089