[C320-list] Head leaks and cannot empty tank properly

clburti at gmail.com clburti at gmail.com
Sat Oct 12 22:16:43 PDT 2013

Ken,

I’ll address the last questions first. It has been ages since I disassembled a macerator pump for repair, but believethey are designed to prevent backflow. Look online for a tech drawing of your pump and you can verify this. That said, the through hull valve on the discharge, should never be left open. First for safety reasons, second, in US waters you would be in violation of MSD discharge laws.

We have a cheap Jabsco head. It doesn’t leave water in the bowl after flushing, so I don’t know whether pulling water out when pumping the macerator is a problem or not. It seems logical that it might do so normally as I can not recall any check valve in the discharge side of the head plumbing.

There simply should not be any water leaking back into the boat when pumping water out of the vent. I cannot remember what the vent looks like on Commitment as it has been such a non issue for us that I confess that I have neglected to clean it for some time. So I can’t offer any meaningful suggestion other than to figure out how to get it out of the boat so that you can inspect it properly.

Rereading your original post with this one leaves me a bit confused. Your vent sounds like it is not blocked anymore and even if a bit restricted, should not be affecting operation much. What confuses me is that the vent goes to a separate fitting in the tank than the deck pump out fitting. Pouring water down the deck pump out shouldn’t cause a leak out of the vent unless your tank is full. You state that your tank is being emptied and is full when you return, how are you determining that? To eliminate one possibility, I have to also ask if you are checking to make sure that the through hull valve is actually open  when running the macerator?

Fair Winds
Chris Burti
Commitment
Catalina 320, #867