[C320-list] Heat exchanger core and mixing elbow

Warren Updike wupdike at hotmail.com
Thu Oct 17 12:10:04 PDT 2013

Boy, I second this.  Things that tend to carbon-up an engine are: running in
neutral to charge batteries (run in reverse at anchor or mooring if
possible;) extensive motoring at low rpms.  Whenever possible I try to motor
at 25-2700rpm (Perkins M30, different for different engines.)  We have over
2,100 hrs, our smoke is nearly invisible, always starts quickly, and burns
not more than 1/2 qt. oil between changes.

Also, check mfgr recommendations first; but, I understand that ULSD needs a
cetane booster with lubricity additives.  I'm quite sure Yanmar recommends
this.  If you fuel dock advertises Valve-Tec diesel, apparently you don't
need such an additive.  We've seen a few of these fuel docks on the lower
Chesapeake.

Warren & Pattie Updike
1994 C320 #62 "Warr De Mar"